Michael HARTE

Regimental number6513
Place of birthLongford, Ireland
ReligionRoman Catholic
OccupationPolice constable
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation28
Height5' 11"
Weight168 lbs
Next of kinLaurence Hart, GPO, Longford, Ireland
Previous military serviceServed in the Queensland Police Force; City of Glasgow Police Force.
Enlistment date1 March 1915
Place of enlistmentToowoomba, Queensland
Rank on enlistmentDriver
Unit nameInfantry Brigade Train 7, Company 17
AWM Embarkation Roll number25/36/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Brisbane, Queensland, on board HMAT A11 Ascanius on 24 May 1915
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Brisbane, Queensland, on board HMAT A36 Melbourne on 12 June 1915
Rank from Nominal RollDriver
Unit from Nominal Roll5th Division Trench Mortar Battery
FateReturned to Australia 12 March 1918

Military Medal

Discharge date30 June 1918
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Posted to 17th Company, Australian Army Service Corps, 25 May 1915; taken on strength of 10th Company, Alexandria, 13 March 1916; taken on strength of 15th Field Artillery Brigade as a gunner, Tel-el-Kebir, and posted to Brigade Ammunition Column, 27 March 1916. Transferred to 14th Field Artillery Brigade, Ferry Post, and mustered as Driver, 18 April 1916; taken on strength of 5th Divisional Ammunition Column, Moascar, 27 May 1916.

Embarked Alexandria on HMT 'Huntsend' and proceeded to join the British Expeditionary Force, 20 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 20 June 1916.

Transferred to 5th Division Trench Mortar Brigade, 31 August 1916.

Admitted to 15th Field Ambulance, 22 September 1916 (alcohol poisoning); discharged to duty, 23 September 1916; rejoined unit from hospital, 8 October 1916.

Admitted to 3rd New Zealand Field Ambulance, 27 October 1916 (bronchitis); transferred to New Zealand Divisional Rest Station, 28 October 1916; to 14th General Hospital, Wimereux, 30 October 1916; to No 1 Convalescent Depot, Boulogne, 2 November 1916; discharged to duty, 6 November 1916; marched into 5th Australian General Base Depot, Etaples, 8 November 1916; moved into the field, 12 November 1916; rejoined unit from hospital, 17 November 1916.

Proceeded on command to 5th Divisional Ammunition Column, 27 November 1916; rejoined unit from detachment, 6 December 1916; to Trench Mortar School, 6 December 1916; rejoined unit in the field, 28 December 1916.

Proceeded on leave to England, 12 January 1917; rejoined unit from leave, 2 February 1917; taken on strength from authorised surplus, 8 February 1917.

Admitted to 15th Australian Field Ambulance, 16 March 1917, and transferred to 5th Divisional Rest Station (wound to back); discharged to duty, 22 March 1917; rejoin unit from hospital, 24 March 1917.

Wounded in the field, 17 July 1917 (gas attack); moved out to 5th Army Trench Mortar School, 7 September 1917.

Found guilty at Trench Mortar School, 15 September 1917, of being absent without leave, 8.50 am, 14 September, to 8.10 am, 15 September 1917: awarded 28 days' Field Punishment No 1; forfeited total of 29 days; rejoined unit from course, 18 September 1917; granted leave, 22 October 1917; rejoined unit from leave, 7 November 1917; awarded the Military Medal, 7 November 1917; detached to 13th Field Artillery Brigade, 10 November 1917; rejoined unit from detachment.

Admitted to 8th Field Ambulance, 9 December 1917, and transferred to 5th Divisional Receiving Station (gastroenteritis); discharged to duty, 15 December 1917; rejoined unit in the field, 16 December 1917.

Admitted to 14th Australian Field Ambulance, 1 January 1918; transferred to 24th General Hospital, Etaples (synovitis, left knee); to No 6 Convalescent Depot, Etaples, 12 January 1918; discharged to duty, 14 January 1918; marched into Australian General Base Depot, Rouelles, 16 January 1918. Embarked Havre and proceeded to England for further treatment, 18 January 1918 (classified PB); marched into No 4 Command Depot, 19 January 1918; marched into No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 20 February 1918.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Kenilworth Castle', 12 March 1918; disembarked Melbourne, 22 May 1918, for onward travel to 1st Military District. Discharged on account of being medically unfit for continued service, Brisbane, 30 June 1918 (synovitis, knee).

Medals: Military Medal, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
Miscellaneous detailsSurname incorrectly entered on Embarkation Roll as HART.