William INGLIS

Regimental number123
Place of birthDalserf, Scotland
OccupationMotor attendant
AddressCooper Street, Cessnock, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation22
Height5' 3.5"
Weight121 lbs
Next of kinAlexander Inglis, Cooper Street, Cessnock, New South Wales
Previous military serviceServed for 1 year in the 6th Light Horse Regiment; still serving at time of AIF enlistment.
Enlistment date22 August 1914
Place of enlistmentSydney, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name1st Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron
AWM Embarkation Roll number10/6/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A16 Star of Victoria on 20 October 1914
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll1st Light Horse Regiment
FateReturned to Australia 15 February 1918
Discharge date5 July 1918
Other details

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli

Embarked Alexandria to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, Gallipoli, 9 May 1915.

Wounded in action, 7 August 1915 (bomb wound, right thigh); admitted to St David's Hospital, Malta, 12 August 1915. Discharged to HS 'Garth Castle' for England, 11 September 1915; admitted to Fulham Military Hospital, London, 14 September 1915.

Found guilty, 24 February 1916, of being absent without leave, 20-22 November 1915: awarded 72 hours' detention, and forfeiture of 6 days' pay.

Attended Machine Gun Course, Monte Video Camp, Weymouth, 24 January-9 February 1916: 1st Class pass.

Admitted to Venereal Military Hospital, Portland, 24 February 1916; discharged, 25 February 1916; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 2 days; stoppage of pay: 1 day.

Commenced retutn to Egypt to rejoin Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 31 May 1916; returned to duty, 1st Light Horse Training Regiment, Tel el Kebir, 12 June 1916.

Taken on strength, 1st Light Horse Regiment, Romani, 16 June 1916.

Wounded in action, Tel Khuweifeh, 3 November 1917 (gun shot wound, left thigh); admitted to 75th Casualty Clearing Station, 4 November 1917; transferred to 43rd Stationary Hospital, 5 November 1917; to 24th Stationary Hospital, 6 November 1917; to 14th Australian General Hospital, Abbassia, 7 November 1917.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Ulysses', 15 February 1918; discharged, Sydney (medically unfit), 5 July 1918.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal