The AIF Project

Kenneth Hugh MACARTHUR

Regimental number3248
Place of birthGlasgow, Scotland
ReligionRoman Catholic
OccupationTelegraph operator
Address94 City Road, Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation21
Height5' 10.5"
Weight150 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs Mary MacArthur, Breda Street, Gardens, Capetown, South Africa
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date9 September 1916
Place of enlistmentNewcastle, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name53rd Battalion, 8th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/70/4
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A29 Suevic on 11 November 1916
Regimental number from Nominal Roll2778
Unit from Nominal Roll15th Battalion
Miscellaneous details (Nominal Roll)see other, page 22
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Parents: Charles and Mabel Kate MACARTHUR
Discharge date2 March 1920
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Sydney, 11 November 1916.

Found guilty, 28 November 1916, of disobedience of orders in that he was smoking on the troop deck: award, forfeits 2 days' pay.

Found guilty, 20 December 1916, of while in Cape Town, being absent without leave from 15 December 1916, until 19 December 1916: award, admonished and forfeits 5 days' pay by Royal Warrant.

Found guilty, 14 January 1917, of (1) breaking ship; (2) being absent without leave for 1 day: awarded 120 hours' detention and a total forfeiture of 6 days' pay.

Disembarked Devonport, England, 30 January 1917; marched into 14th Training Bn, Hurdcott, 1 February 1917.

Found guilty, 16 February 1917, of (1) being drunk; (2) obscene language: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No 2.

Admitted to No 1 Australian Dermatological Hospital, Bulford, 31 March 1917 (venereal disease); rejoined 14th Training Bn, Hurdcott, 18 August 1917; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 133 days.

Found guilty, 11 September 1917, of being absent without leave from 0900 hours, 26 August 1917, until 2200 hours, 6 September 1917: awarded 21 days' Field Punishment No 2 and total forfeiture of 37 days' pay.

Proceeded overseas to France, 14 November 1917; marched into 5th Australian Divisional Base Depot, Le Havre, 15 November 1917.

Marched out to unit, 19 November 1917; taken on strength of 53rd Bn, 22 November 1917.

Wounded in action, 17 April 1918 (gassed, shell); admitted to No 55 Field Ambulance, 17 April 1918; transferred to Casualty Clearing Station, 17 April 1918; to No 8 General Hospital, Rouen, 19 April 1918; to England, 21 April 1918; to Voluntary Aid Hospital, Cheltenham, 22 April 1918 (gassed, severe); to No 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 23 July 1918; discharged to furlough, 26 July 1918, and to report to No 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 9 August 1918.

Posted absent without leave, 9 August 1918; apprehended, 11 September 1918.

Tried by District Court Martial. Warwick Square, 24 September 1918 on the charge of being absent without leave in that he failed to report to the Regimental Sergeant Major at Administration Headquarters at 1100 hour, 9 August 1918, and remained absent without leave until he surrendered himself on 11 September 1918: pleaded guilty: awarded 50 days' detention and total forfeiture of 96 days' pay.

Admitted to Lewes Detention Barracks, 28 September 1918; Unexpired portion of sentence (8 days) to be remitted and released from Lewes Detention Barracks, 4 November 1918, and marched into Overseas Training Bde the same day.

Proceeded overseas to France, 6 November 1918; marched into Australian Intermediate Base Depot, Le Havre, 7 November 1918.

Marched out to unit, 8 November 1918; rejoined 53rd Bn, 10 November 1918.

Admitted to No 14 Australian Field Ambulance, 11 November 1918 (influenza); transferred to No 3 Australian General Hospital, Abbeville, 11 November 1918 (broncho-pneumonia); dangerously ill, 13 November 1918; to England, 24 December 1918 (broncho-pneumonia and pleurisy); to No 1 War Hospital, Rubery Hill, Birmingham, 25 December 1918; to No 1 Australian General Hospital, Sutton Veny, 22 January 1918; to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 8 March 1919.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Medic', 10 April 1919.

Admitted to Ship's Hospital, 12 May 1919 (bronchitis).

Disembarked Melbourne, 31 May 1919; discharged Sydney (medically unfit), 2 March 1920.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death18 June 1938
Age at death43
Place of burialSherwood Cemetery, Queensland
SourcesNAA: B2455, MACARTHUR Kenneth Hugh

Print format