Alfred James McCREADY

Regimental number2364
Place of birthBelfast, Co Antrim, Ireland
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation25
Height5' 6.5"
Weight140 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs Annie Guinness, 61 Grove Street East off Burtbridge Road, Ballymacarratt, Belfast, Ireland
Previous military serviceServed in the 3rd Bn, Inniskillen Fusiliers, British Army [or does 'Three' mean '3 years'?]
Enlistment date30 December 1915
Place of enlistmentParkes, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name35th Battalion, 4th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/52/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A30 Borda on 17 October 1916
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll35th Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 23 June 1919
Discharge date8 September 1919
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Sydney, 17 October 1916; found guilty, 20 November 1916, of breaching ship's orders by smoking between decks: awarded 48 hours' detention; admitted to ship's hospital, 19 December 1916 (venereal disease, contracted at Capetown, South Africa); disembarked Plymouth, England, 9 January 1917.

Transferred to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital, Bulford, 16 January 1917; discharged from hospital, 10 May 1917; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 82 days.

Found guilty, 24 April 1917, of at Durrington failing to appear at the place of parade appointed by his CO in that he failed to appear at No 11 Camp, midnight, 1/2 April: awarded 20 days' detention, and forfeited £5-0-0.

Found guilty, 26 June 1917, of at Durrington being absent without leave from 8 am until apprehended, 8.40 pm, 3 July 1917: awarded 14 days' Field Punishment No 2, and forfeiture of 21 days' pay.

Absent without leave from 13 July 1917; declared an illegal absentee, 4 August 1917; marched in to 9th Training Bn from being an illegal absentee, 3 September 1917.

Tried by District Court Martial, Larkhill, 29 September1917, on charge of being absent without leave from 13 July to 27 August 1917 whilst undergoing Field Punishment No 2: pleaded guilty; found guilty; sentenced to 90 days' detention; sentence confirmed by GOC, AIF Depots in the United Kingdom, but 20 days' remitted. Forfeited a total of 139 days' pay. Marched out to Woking Detention Barracks, 1 October 1917.

Proceeded overseas to France, 28 November 1917; taken on strength, 35th Bn, in thefield, 8 December 1917.

Detached to Divisional Signal School, 8 February-2 March 1918.

Found guilty, 6 July 1918, of being absent without leave from 9 pm, 4 July, to 9 pm, 5 July 191*: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment no 2, and forfeited 9 days' pay.

Wounded in action, 22 August 1918 (gassed), and admitted to 15th Australian Field Ambulance, and then transferred to 55th Casualty Clearing Station; transferred by Ambulance Train No 25, 22 August 1918, and admitted to 11th Stationary Hospital; transferred to 2nd Convalescent Depot, 25 August 1918; to 11th Convalescent Depot, 26 August 1918.

Found guilty, 4 September 1918, of being absent without leave from 6.30 am till found in his hut at 10.10 pm, 3 September 1918: awarded 3 days' Field Punishment No 1, and forfeited a total of 4 days' pay.

Discharged to Base Depot, 7 September 1918; rejoined unit, 14 September 1918.

On leave to United Kingdom, 7 October 1918; rejoined unit from leave, 23 October 1918.

Detached to Brigade signal School, 3 November 1918; rejoined unit from detachment, 9 November 1918.

Admitted to 9th Australian Field Ambulance, 20 November 1918 (varicose veins); transferred to 3rd Australian General Hospital, 21 November 1918; discharged to Base Depot, 25 November 1918; admitted to 40th Stationary Hospital, 30 November 1918 (varicose veins); discharged to Base, 27 December 1918.

Marched out to England for return to Australia, 7 January 1919; marched into No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 8 January 1919.

Charged with being absent without leave, 5-12 February 1919: case dismissed. 15 February 1919.

Marched into No 1 Command Depot, Sutton Veny, 20 February 1919.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Orica', 23 June 1919; disembarked Sydney, 9 August 1919; discharged, Sydney, 8 September 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
SourcesNAA: B2455, McCREADY Alfred James