Regimental number2210
Place of birthMaffra, Victoria
OccupationDairy farmer
AddressWoongarra, East Bundaberg, Queensland
Marital statusMarried
Age at embarkation39
Height5' 11"
Weight141 lbs
Next of kinWife, Mrs Emily Jane Morrison, Princess Street,East Bundaberg, Queensland
Previous military serviceSouth African Light Horse and Australian Commonwealth Force (discharged at end of war)
Enlistment date30 March 1916
Place of enlistmentBundaberg, Queensland
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name52nd Battalion, 4th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/69/3
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Brisbane, Queensland, on board HMAT A42 Boorara on 16 August 1916
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll52nd Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 31 January 1918
Date of death27 February 1920
Age at death from cemetery records42
Place of burialToowong Cemetery (Plot S.1/169), Brisbane, Queensland
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Parents: Robert and Mary MORRISON; husband of Emily MORRISON, New Farm, Brisband. Native of Tanjil, Maffra, Victoria
Discharge date17 May 1918
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Brisbane, 16 August 1916; disembarked Plymouth, England, 13 October 1916.

Sick to hospital, 6 November 1916; marched into No 3 Command Depot, 20 November 1916, from isolation camp.

Marched into 13th Training Bn, 20 November 1916.

Proceeded overseas to France, 12 December 1916; marched into 4th Australian Divisional Base Depot, Etaples, 13 December 1916.

Taken on strength of 52nd Bn, 19 December 1916.

Found guilty, 20 December 1916, of being guilty of being improperly dressed on parade: awarded 1 extra drill.

Detached to Cookery School, 10 April 1917.

Admitted to 2/1 South Midland Casualty Clearing Station, 28 April 1917 (trench fever); transferred to No 1 South African General Hospital, Abbeville, 2 May 1917; to No 5 Convalescent Depot, 9 May 1917 (pyrexia of unknown origin), 9 May 1917; discharged to Base Depot, 1 June 1917; marched into 4th Australian Divisional Base Depot, Le Havre, 2 June 1917.

Proceeded to join unit, 15 June 1917; rejoined 52nd Bn, 21 June 1917.

Found guilty, 1 August 1917, of (1) being absent from billets after 2100 hours; (2) not in possession of a pass: awarded 7 days' confined to camp.

On leave to England, 25 September 1917; rejoined unit, 7 October 1917.

Admitted to No 4 Australian Field Ambulance, 31 December 1917 (varicose veins); transferred to No 2 Canadian General Hospital, Etaples, 1 January 1918; marched into 4th Australian Divisional Base Depot, Le Havre, 14 January 1918.

Classified as fit for Permanent Base duty only, 16 January 1918, and proceeded to England the same day; marched into No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 17 January 1918.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Osterley', 31 January 1918; disembarked Sydney, 15 April 1918; discharged (medically unfit: varicose veins), 17 May 1918.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal

Died, No 27 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Rosemont, 27 February 1920 (arteriosclerosis, anaemia, and coma).
SourcesNAA: B2455, MORRISON Duncan