The AIF Project

Edward Horace TRAVERS

Regimental number1318
Place of birthHobart, Tasmania
ReligionChurch of England
Address116 Warwick Street, Hobart, Tasmania
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation18
Height5' 2.75"
Weight115 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs. Mary Travers, 116 Warwick Street, Hobart, Tasmania
Previous military serviceNil (Evaded Service)
Enlistment date19 July 1915
Place of enlistmentClaremont, Tasmania
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name3rd Light Horse Regiment, 9th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number10/8/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Melbourne, Vic, on board HMAT SS Makarini on 15 September 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll57th Battalion
FateDemobilised 16 October 1919
Miscellaneous information from
  cemetery records
Parents: William and Mary TRAVERS
Discharge date16 October 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Embarked to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 13 November 1915; disembarked Mudros, no date stated (did not land at Gallipoli).

Disembarked Alexandria, 4 December 1915.

Absorbed in 3rd Australian Light Horse Regiment, West Front Force, 29 December 1915.

Attached to 160th Brigade Headquarters, Beni Salam, 1 January 1916.

Admitted to No 3 Welsh Field Ambulance, Wardan, 1 January 1916; transferred to Abbassia DBI, 2 January 1916; marched into Overseas Base, Giza, 13 January 1916; discharged to unit, 17 January 1916.

Taken on strength of 1st Australian Light Horse Reserve Regiment, Heliopolis, 1 March 1916.

Transferred to Artillery Details, 15 May 1916, and marched into Australian Artillery Training Bde, the same day.

Found guilty, 18 July 1916, of (1) being in Zagazig without a pass; (2) being absent without leave from 2000 hours, until 2200 hours, 18 July 1916: awarded 168 hours' Field Punishment No 2.

Found guilty, 24 July 1916, of being absent from 0700 hours parade: awarded 7 days' confined to barracks.

Embarked Alexandria, 1 August 1916, and proceeded to England.

Found guilty, Parkhouse, 12 September 1916, of being absent without leave from midnight, 7 September 1916, until 0900 hours, 11 September 1916: award, forfeits 7 days' pay and total forfeiture of 11 days' pay.

Found guilty, 18 October 1916, of being absent from 0600 hours parade: awarded 3 days' confined to barracks and forfeits 1 day's pay.

Proceeded overseas to France from England, 20 November 1916; marched into Machine Gun Corps Base Depot, Camiers, 20 November 1916.

Taken on strength of 15th Machine Gun Company, 11 January 1917.

Detached to duty as aircraft guard, Meaulte, 2 May 1917; rejoined unit, 16 June 1917.

Found guilty, 3 July 1917, of whilst on active service, being absent without leave from 0830 hours roll call, until 2230 hours roll call, 2 July 1917: awarded 21 days' Field Punishment No 2.

Found guilty, 22 August 1917, of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that he whilst on the line of march fell out, and upon rejoining, rode in a limber without permission: awarded 3 days' Field Punishment No 2.

On 3 September 1917, Commanding Officer is asked to amend forfeiture of crime of 21 August 1917.

Accidentally wounded, 26 September 1917; admitted to No 3 Australian Field Ambulance, 29 September 1917 (perforated wound left hand; self-inflicted wound); transferred to No 17 Casualty Clearing Station, 29 September 1917; to No 50 Casualty Clearing Station, 29 September 1917; to 2nd Army Special Hospital, 29 September 1917; discharged and rejoined unit, 19 November 1917.

Wounding of 26 September 1917, now, 4 December 1917, to be reported as Accidental.

Transferred to, and taken on strength of 57th Bn, 4 December 1917.

On leave to England, 18 January 1918; found guilty, 20 February 1918, of being absent without leave from 0730 hours, 3 February 1918, until 17 February 1918: award, forfeits 28 days' pay, and total forfeiture of 43 days' pay; rejoins unit from leave, 22 February 1918.

Reported arrested, Rouen, 4 May 1918.

Tried by Field General Court Martial, 23 May 1918, on charges of Deserting His Majesty's Service: found Guilty; awarded 10 years' penal servitude, and forfeits 10 days' pay by Royal Warrant; sentence confirmed by Brigadier General Tivey, Temporarily Commanding 5th Australian Division, 25 May 1918.

Marched out to prison, 6 June 1918; admitted to No 1 Military Prison, Rouen, 16 June 1918.

Admitted to No 10 General Hospital, 5 July 1918 (influenza); discharged, 11 July 1918; readmitted to No 1 Military Prison, Rouen, 13 July 1918.

Commander in Chief commutes sentence to 2 years' Imprisonment with Hard Labour, 28 July 1918.

Admitted to No 25 Stationary Hospital, Rouen, 19 December 1918 (dysentery); discharged and readmitted to No 1 Military Prison, Rouen, 23 January 1919.

Sentence remitted and released from No 1 Military Prison, 22 April 1919; rejoined 57th Bn, 24 April 1919.

Proceeded to England for return to Australia, 26 May 1919; marched into No 2 Group, Sutton Veny, 7 June 1919.

Marched out to Australian Imperial Force Headquarters, London, 12 August 1919.

Granted leave, 28 August 1919; leave extended, 4 September 1919, pending discharge.

Discharged from Australian Imperial Force, (demobilisied), London, 16 October 1919, for employment as Imperial War Graves Cemetery Caretaker in France.

Total war service: 4 years 90 days (of which 4 years 37 days were abroad).

Commenced return to Australia on board 'Borda', 7 July 1921.
Date of death21 October 1931
Age at death34
Place of burialCornelian Bay Cemetery, Hobart, Tasmania
SourcesNAA: B2455, TRAVERS Edward Horace

Print format