|Place of birth||Muswellbrook, New South Wales|
|School||Muswellbrook Public School, New South Wales|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||c/o Constable H. Spencer, Tennyson, Princess Avenue, Concord, New South Wales|
|Age at embarkation||35|
|Next of kin||Mother, Mrs S. Allwood, Tennyson, Princess Avenue, Concord, New South Wales|
|Previous military service||Served two years in the Australian Expeditionary Forces, South Africa|
|Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll|
|Place of enlistment||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Rank on enlistment||Private|
|Unit name||4th Battalion, 22nd Reinforcement|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/21/4|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board SS Port Nicholson on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||4th Battalion|
|Fate||Killed in Action
|Place of death or wounding||Broodseinde, Passchendaele, Belgium|
|Date of death|
|Age at death||37|
|Age at death from cemetery records||37|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 7), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Panel number, Roll of Honour,|
Australian War Memorial
|Miscellaneous information from|
|Parents: George and Sarah ALLWOOD, 'Tennyson', Princes Avenue, Concord, New South Wales|
War service: Western Front
Embarked Sydney, 8 November 1916; disembarked Devonport, England, 10 January 1917.
Appointed lance corporal for the voyage, 4 December 1916; reverted to ranks, Durrington, 10 January 1917.
Admitted to 2nd Auxiliary Hospital (alveolar abscess), Southall, 28 January 1917; discharged for duty, 30 January 1917.
Appointed (escort duty promotion) corporal, 8 February 1917; reverted to ranks, 7 March 1917.
Embarked Folkestone to join the British Expeditionary Force, France, 5 April 1917; marched in, 1st Australian Divisional Base Depot, Etaples, 6 April 1917.
Taken on strength, 4th Bn, in the field, 11 May 1917.
Detached for duty with Assistant Provost Marshal, Amiens, 14 June 1917; rejoined unit from detachment, 19 July 1917.
Killed in action, Belgium, 4 October 1917; buried at Jabber Track, Map Reference J.4.b.4.3, Grave No. 564; grave subsequently lost.Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
|Miscellaneous details||Attestation papers list previous military experience as: 16 months in the 2nd Mounted Infantry, 3 years in the 4th Infantry and 4 months in the 5th Commonwealth Horse|
|Sources||NAA: B2455, ALLWOOD Frederick Theodore|