|Place of birth||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||1 Layton Street, Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales|
|Age at embarkation||23|
|Next of kin||Wife, O Carr, 1 Layton Street, Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales|
|Previous military service||Nil|
|Rank on enlistment||Private|
|Unit name||1st Battalion, 12th Reinforcement|
|AWM Embarkation Roll number||23/18/3|
|Embarkation details||Unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT Mooltan on
|Rank from Nominal Roll||Private|
|Unit from Nominal Roll||1st Battalion|
|Fate||Killed in Action
|Age at death from cemetery records||26|
|Place of burial||No known grave|
|Commemoration details||The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Panel 7), Belgium
The Menin Gate Memorial (so named because the road led to the town of Menin) was constructed on the site of a gateway in the eastern walls of the old Flemish town of Ypres, Belgium, where hundreds of thousands of allied troops passed on their way to the front, the Ypres salient, the site from April 1915 to the end of the war of some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
The Memorial was conceived as a monument to the 350,000 men of the British Empire who fought in the campaign. Inside the arch, on tablets of Portland stone, are inscribed the names of 56,000 men, including 6,178 Australians, who served in the Ypres campaign and who have no known grave.
The opening of the Menin Gate Memorial on 24 July 1927 so moved the Australian artist Will Longstaff that he painted 'The Menin Gate at Midnight', which portrays a ghostly army of the dead marching past the Menin Gate. The painting now hangs in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, at the entrance of which are two medieval stone lions presented to the Memorial by the City of Ypres in 1936.
Since the 1930s, with the brief interval of the German occupation in the Second World War, the City of Ypres has conducted a ceremony at the Memorial at dusk each evening to commemorate those who died in the Ypres campaign.
|Miscellaneous information from|
|Parents: Arthur and Sarah CARR; Husband of Mrs M. O. CARR|
War service: Egypt, Western Front
Taken on strength, 1st Bn, Tel el Kebir, 14 February 1916.
Proceeded from Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 22 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, 28 March 1916.
Tried by Field General Court Martial, 17 June 1916, on the charge that 'When on Active Service neglect to the prejudice of good order & military discipline in that he at Morbeque Rifle Range on 3rd June 1916, by negligently discharging his rifle, fatally wounding 2/Lieutenant J.C. Davidson.' Found guilty; sentenced to 9 months' imprisonment with hard labour. Verdict confirmed but sentence remitted by Brig-General N.M. Smyth.
Wounded in action, 22 July 1916 (gun shot wound, left leg and thigh); admitted to No. 1 Stationary Hospital, Rouen, 24 July 1916. Transferred to England, 28 July 1916, and admitted to Stoke on Trent Hospital. Discharged on furlough, 26 October 1916, to report to No. 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, 10 November 1916. Admitted to Bulford Hospital, 20 November 1916; discharged from Parkhouse Hospital, 19 February 1917; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 92 days. Proceeded overseas to France, 20 March 1917; rejoined 1st Bn, 24 March 1917.
Missing in action, Belgium, 3 October 1917; confirmed by Court of Enquiry, 22 March 1918, as killed in action.
Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal