The AIF Project

Henry John Stamford CLIMPSON

Regimental number1161
Place of birthLondon, England
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationMarine fireman
Address13 Chestnut Grove, Forest Gate, London, England
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation26.8
Height5' 7.25"
Weight135 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs S Climpson, 13 Chestnut Grove, Forest Gate, London, England
Previous military serviceServed in the 3rd Bn, Essex Regiment; converted to Special Reserve Bn.
Enlistment date19 February 1915
Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll18 February 1915
Place of enlistmentLiverpool, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentActing Sergeant
Unit name19th Battalion, D Company
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT Ceramic on 25 June 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll19th Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 24 December 1918
Discharge date20 April 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front

Promoted Corporal, 16 March 1915.

Commenced return to Australia from Suez on board HT 'Wandilla', 13 December 1915 (enteric fever).

Re-embarked (fully recovered) with 19th Bn, 11th Reinforcements, on board HT 'Nestor', 19 April 1916; disembarked, Plymouth, England, 7 June 1916.

Proceeded overseas to France, 10 August 1916; joined 19th Bn, in the field, 24 August 1916.

Admitted to 1st Australian General Hospital, Rouen, 5 November 1916 (rheumatism); transferred to England, 20 November 1916, and admitted to 4th Southern General Hospital, 21 November 1916; to 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield, 20 February 1917; marched into No 2 Convalescent Depot, Weymouth, 18 May 1917.

Proceeded overseas to France, 4 August 1917; rejoined 19th Bn, in the field, 21 August 1917.

Wounded in action, 16 September 1917 (gas shell); admitted to 3rd Australian General Hospital, Abbeville, 18 September 1917 (gas poisoning); transferred to England, 13 October 1917; discharged from 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, 23 November 1917.

Proceeded overseas to France, 23 January 1918; rejoined Bn, in the field, Belgium, 28 January 1918.

Tried by Field General Court Martial, 8 February 1918, on charge of 'disgraceful conduct of an indecent kind in that he in a billet at Seninghem on the night of 2/3 Febry 1918 attempted to indecently assault No 3557 Pte Kirby J.'; found guilty; sentenced to be reduced to the ranks and awarded 9 months' imprisonment with hard labour.

Admitted to No 4 Military Prison, 17 March 1918; released from prison, 16 September 1918, and remainder of sentence remitted from date of release.

Rejoined 19th Bn, in the field, 17 September 1918.

Wounded in action (second occasion), 3 October 1918 (left thigh); admitted to 4th Southern General Hospital, Plymouth, 7 October 1918; discharged from hospital, 14 November 1918.

Commenced return to Australia on board Ht 'Takada', 24 December 1918; discharged (medically unfit), 20 April 1919.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal
SourcesNAA: B2455, CLIMPSON Henry John Stamford

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.