Alfred Frederick DAWKINS

Regimental number3509
Date of birth16 April 1898
Place of birthEngland
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationFactory hand
Address10 L'Avenue, Newtown, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation19
Next of kinAunt, Mrs Emily Crowe, 161 Willmott Street, Bethnal Green, London, England
Enlistment date6 January 1917
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name54th Battalion, 9th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number23/71/4
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A68 Anchises on 24 January 1917
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll3rd Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 25 March 1919
Discharge date12 June 1919
Other details

War service: embarked from Australia, 24 January 1917. Admitted to ship's hospital at sea, 3 March 1917; discharged from ship's hospital, 5 March 1917. Disembarked Devonport, England, 27 March 1917, and marched into 14th Training Bn, Hurdcott.

Proceeded overseas to France, 2 July 1917; marched into 5th Australian Divisional Base Depot, Le Havre, 3 July 1917. Marched out to unit, 31 July 1917. Taken on strength, 54th Bn, 1 August 1917.

On leave to England, 18 February 1918; rejoined unit from leave, 13 March 1918. Awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No. 2, 31 March 1918, for overstaying leave in London, 6-12 March 1918.

Wounded in action, 17 April 1918. Admitted to 2/3 HQ Field Ambulance (gas poisoning), 17 April 1918; transferred to 9th General Hospital, Rouen, 19 April 1918; to England, 27 April 1918. Admitted to 1st Southern General Hospital, Birmingham (severe gas burns), 28 April 1918. Transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 10 May 1918. Marched in to No. 3 Command Depot, Hurdcott, from hospital, 13 May 1918. Marched in to Overseas Training Brigade, Longbridge Deverill, 27 June 1918. Proceeded overseas to France, 24 July 1918; rejoined 54th Bn, 2 August 1918.

Wounded in action (second occasion), 25 August 1918; admitted to 15th Field Ambulance; transferred to Casualty Clearing Station; to 1st Australian General Hospital, Rouen, 26 August 1918. Transferred to England, 28 August 1918; admitted to Beaufort War Hospital, Bristol (gun shot wound, head), 30 August 1918. Discharged from hospital and granted furlough: to report to No. 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 21 September 1918. Reported absent without leave, 21 September 1918. Marched in to No. 4 Command Depot from furlough, 1 October 1918: awarded forfeiture of 20 days' pay for being absent without leave from 21-30 September 1918.

Marched out to Overseas Training Brigade, Longbridge Deverill, and transferred to Reinforcements of 3rd Bn, 8 October 1918. Marched out to 1st Training Brigade Signal School, 1 November 1918. Marched in to 1st Training Bn, 1 November 1918.

Proceeded overseas to France; marched in to Australian Infantry Base Depot, Le Havre, 22 November 1918. Taken on strength, 3rd Bn, 3 December 1918. Admitted to 20th Casualty Clearing Station (flat feet), 21 December 1918; discharged to duty, 28 December 1918.

Proceeded to Base Depot, 29 December 1918; marched in to Base Depot, Le Havre, 30 December 1918. Transferred to England, 7 January 1919. Marched in to No. 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 8 January 1919. Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Port Denison', 25 March 1919. Admitted to ship's hospital at sea (influenza), 31 March 1919; discharged from ship's hospital, 1 April 1919. Arrived at 3rd Military District to disembark at 2nd Military District, 10 May 1919. Discharged from the AIF, 12 June 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death13 May 1975
Age at death77
Place of burialRookwood Necropolis, Sydney, New South Wales