The AIF Project

Cyril Maxwell HARRIS

Regimental number10692
Place of birthBelfast, Co Antrim, Ireland
ReligionChurch of England
OccupationPainting contractor
Address'Woodlands', Dandenong Road, Oakleigh, Victoria
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation29
Height5' 8"
Weight154 lbs
Next of kinFather, Fred Maxwell Harris, 55 Malone Avenue, Belfast, Co Antrim, Ireland
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date16 September 1915
Place of enlistmentMelbourne, Victoria
Rank on enlistmentSapper
Unit nameDivisional Signal Company 3
AWM Embarkation Roll number22/13/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A11 Ascanius on 25 May 1916
Rank from Nominal RollDriver
Unit from Nominal Roll3rd Divisional Signal Company
FateReturned to Australia 27 May 1919
Discharge date20 October 1919
Other details

War service: Western Front

Embarked Melbourne on HMAT ‘Ascanius’, 27 May 1916; disembarked England, 18 July 1916; appointed Driver with 3rd Divisional Signals Company, 17 October 1916. Proceeded to France through Southampton, 23 November 1916.

Admitted to 11th Australian Field Ambulance, 24 September 1917 (injury to ribs); transferred to 59th General Hospital, St. Omer, 24 September 1917. Embarked on board HS ‘Stad Antwerpen’ and proceeded to England for further treatment, 26 October 1917; admitted to Horton County of London War Hospital, 26 October 1917; transferred to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 7 December 1917; discharged on furlough, 19 December 1917.

Admitted to King George V Military Hospital whilst on leave, Dublin, 27 January 1918; transferred to 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield, 1 February 1918; discharged to No 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott, 9 February 1918; marched into Longbridge Overseas Training Brigade, Deverill, 17 June 1918; marched into Engineers Training Depot, Brightlingsea, 12 July 1918.

Proceeded to France through Folkestone, 27 July 1918; marched into Royal Engineers Signals Depot, Abbeville, 29 July 1918; rejoined unit in the field, 31 July 1918.

Admitted to 10th Australian Field Ambulance, 9 December 1918, and transferred to 3rd Australian General Hospital (fractured left fibula). Proceeded to England for further treatment, 30 December 1918; admitted to Fort Pitt Military Hospital, 31 December 1918 (fractured ankle); transferred to 3rd Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 3 January 1919; discharged on furlough, 17 February 1919. Marched into No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 10 March 1919.

Commenced return to Australia on HT ‘Rio Pardo’, 27 May 1919; disembarked Melbourne, 17 July 1919. Discharged on account of being medically unfit for continued service, 20 October 1919 (condition not stated).

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.