The AIF Project


Regimental number2554
Place of birthDubbo, New South Wales
ReligionRoman Catholic
Address36 O'Sullivan Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation26
Next of kinSister, Mrs I M Wallings, 36 O'Sullivan Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales
Enlistment date9 August 1915
Place of enlistmentHolsworthy, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name20th Battalion, 6th Reinforcement
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A14 Euripides on 2 November 1915
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll20th Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 6 October 1919
Discharge date18 December 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Admitted to Isolation Hospital, Abbassia, 15 December 1915; discharged to unit, 22 December 1915; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 8 days.

Found guilty, 28 December 1915, of using abusive and threatening conduct towards a native: awarded 14 days' detention.

Admitted to No 1 Auxiliary Hospital, Heliopolis, 29 December 1915 (influenza); discharged, 2 January 1916; rejoined unit, Australian Hill, 5 February 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 18 March 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 25 March 1916.

Reported as absentee, Marseilles, 25 March 1916; reported returned to unit, 6 April 1916.

Found guilty, 11 August 1916, of (1) drunkenness; (2) breaking out of billet whilst a defaulter and remaining absent from 1.45 pm to 2.30 pm, 21 July 1916: awarded 28 days' Field Punishment No 1.

Admitted to No 5 Australian Field Ambulance, 13 August 1916 (influenza); transferred to No 2 Australian General Hospital, Wimereux, 17 August 1916; to England, 25 August 1916, and admitted same day to Radburn War Auxiliary Hospital, Eastbourne (affiliated with Kitchener Hospital, Brighton); taken on strength, No 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, from hospital, 29 September 1916; granted furlough, 30 September 1916.

Found guilty, Perham Downs, 22 November 1916, of (1) being absent without leave from 3 pm, 16 October, till 6.30 am, 20 November 1916; (2) giving a false address when proceeding on furlough; (3) being in possession of another soldier's pass: Awarded 28 days' detention and forfeited 26 days' pay; total forfeiture: 65 days' pay.

Marched into No 1 Command Depot, 20 December 1916.

Declared an illegal absentee by Court of Inquiry, 2 May 1917.

Tried by District Court Martial, Perham Downs, 5 June 1917: pleaded guilty to charge of being absent without leave from 7 April until apprehended in a field near Ludgershall ... at about 11.45 pm, 25 May 1917: awarded 180 days' detention and forfeiture of a total of 239 days' pay. Marched out to Devizes Detention Barracks, 13 June 1917.

Marched into No 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs from Detention Barracks, 4 September 1917.

Admitted to Tidworth Military Hospital, 8 September 1917 (cellulitis); discharged to Training Depot, 17 October 1917.

Tried by District Court Martial, Sutton Veny, 1 February 1918, on charges of (1) being absent without leave from Sutton Veny from 8 November until apprehended in London, 14 November 1917; (2) being in possession of another soldier's pass; (3) escaping at Sutton Veny, 1 December 1917: pleaded guilty to charges (1) and (3), not guilty to (2). Found guilty of (1) and (3); not guilty of (2): sentenced to 60 days' detention; 30 days remitted.

Tried by District Court Martial, Sutton Veny, 26 March 1918, on charge of being absent without leave from 1 March until apprehended at Rochester, 15 March 1918: awarded 36 days' Field Punishment No 2, and forfeiture of a total of 61 days' pay.

Declared an illegal absentee by Court of Inquiry, 21 May 1918.

Admitted to Group Clearing Hospital, 13 June 1918 (influenza); marched into No 1 Command Depot, Sutton Veny, from hospital, 22 June 1918.

Tried by District Court Martial, Sutton Veny, 1 July 1918; pleaded guilty to two charges: being absent without leave at Sutton Veny from 8 April 1918 until apprehended in London, 26 April 1918; being absent without leave from Sutton Veny from 29 April until apprehended in London, 7 June 1918: awarded 150 days' imprisonment with hard labour, and forfeited a total of 234 days' pay.

Defendant submitted a statement to the court: 'I formally plead guilty to the charge of being A.W.L. In explanation I desire to state that my domestic troubles have been preying upon my mind to such an extent that I have scarcely been able to think of anything else. I applied for leave for the purpose of seeing and consulting my father on the matter, but was refused, so I had to take it as I was very anxious that something should be done for my children. I have repeatedly applied for permission to return to Australia to obtain a divorce from my wife on the grounds of her misconduct, but it has not been granted. I think that if you can imagine the feelings of a man whose trust and affection has been so brutally cheated, my home wrecked and my unfortunate children having to be taken by the police and placed in a charitable institution like paupers. My father has made arrangements for them to be properly looked after and cared for until my return. I sincerely trust you wil be able to take a lenient view of my offences which have been caused entirely by my domestic misfortunes and now that there is a brighter outlook. I trust you will give me an opportunity to redeem my character which I am most anxious and willing to do,and that I may be sent to France at once to join up with my battalion. Should you do this Sir I assure you that your leniency will not be misplaced.'

Declared by Statutory Declaration, 3 July 1918, that his true name was Gledall Edwin WALLINGS.

Sent to HM Civil Prison, Wandsworth, 10 July 1918.

Tried by District Court Martial, London, 5 September 1919: found guilty of being absent without leave: awarded 12 months' imprisonment with hard laour. Unexpired portion of sentence remitted as from 6 October 1919.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Pakeha', 6 October 1919; disembarked Sydney, 24 November 1919; discharged, Sydney, 18 December 1919 (disciplinary: services no longer required).

Automatically forfeited entitlement to war medals.
Miscellaneous detailsTrue name: Gledall Edwin WALLINGS; name listed on Attestion Form as ABBETT.
SourcesNAA: B2455, ABBOTT George

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.