The AIF Project

Francis Joseph LEONARD

Regimental number875
Place of birthCondoblin, New South Wales
ReligionRoman Catholic
OccupationHorse trainer
AddressCondoblin, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation21
Height5' 5"
Weight127 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs F.M. Leonard, 39 Anson Street, Orange, New South Wales
Previous military serviceNil
Enlistment date13 January 1915
Place of enlistmentSydney, New South Wales
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name7th Light Horse Regiment, 4th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number10/12/2
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT A8 Argyllshire on 9 April 1915
Regimental number from Nominal Roll2681
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll37th Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 27 September 1917
Discharge date22 December 1917
Other details

War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front

Wounded, Gallipoli, 26 July 1915 (bullet wound, right hand: deemed accidental), and admitted to 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station; transferred to 3rd Light Horse Field Ambulance, Mudros, 28 July 1916; to HS 'Devanah', and disembarked Malta, 5 August 1915, and admitted to Tigne Military Hospital (right forefinger amputated); transferred to England, and admitted to 3rd London General Hospital, Wansdworth, 23 September 1915; discharged from hospital, 27 September 1915; granted 14 days' furlough.

Found guilty, 18 October 1915, of being absent without leave, 13-15 October 1915: awarded 14 days confined to barracks and forfeited 2 days' pay.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Runic', 7 November 1915; disembarked, 21 December 1915; discharged, 25 January 1916.

Re-enlisted,5 October 1916, as 2681 Pte Francis Christopher LEONARD; embarked Sydney, with 37th Bn, 5th Reinforcement, on board HMAT A24 'Benalla', 9 November 1916; disembarked Devonport, England, 9 January 1917; marched into 10th Training Bn, 10 January 1917.

Found guilty, 20 January 1917, of being absent without leave, midnight, 18 January-noon, 19 January 1917: admonished and forfeited 1 day's pay.

Found guilty, 3 March 1917, of being absent without leave, 10 pm, 25 February-midnight, 2 March 1917: awarded 168 hours' detention and forfeited total of 13 days' pay.

Admitted to Fargo Hospital, 31 March 1917 (scabies); discharged to Depot, 14 April 1917.

Found guilty, 27 April 1917, of being absent from parade: forfeited 14 days' pay.

Proceeded overseas to France, 3 May 1917; taken on strength, 37th Bn, 8 May 1917.

Wounded in action, 7 June 1917 (gun shot wound, neck), and admitted to 9th Field Ambulance; transferred same day to 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station; by Ambulance Train to 47th General Hospital, Le Treport, 8 June 1917; to England, 5 July 1917, and admitted to 2nd Southern General Hospital, 5 July 1917 (gun shot wound, throat: severe); to 3rd Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, 1 August 1917; discharged on furlough, 4 August 1917, to report to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 18 August 1917.

Found guilty, 3 September 1917, of being absent without leave from Tattoo, 31 August 1917, till apprehended by Military Police in Weymouth, 1 September 1917: awarded 7 days' Field Punishment No 2 and forfeited 10 days' pay.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Suevic', 27 September 1917; discharged (medically unfit), 22 December 1917.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Committed suicide (self-administered strychnine, Centennial Park, Sydney), 11 July 1932.
Miscellaneous detailsReal name: Francis Liquori LEONARD
Date of death11 July 1932
Place of burialRookwood Necropolis, Sydney, New South Wales

Print format