The AIF Project

Guy Baynton ASHER

Date of birth9 January 1894
ReligionChurch of England
Address'Corryong', New South Head Road, Edgecliffe, New South Wales
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation21
Next of kinFather, Mr Asher, 'Corryong', New South Head Road, Edgecliffe, New South Wales
Previous military service44th Battery Australian Field Artillery; Served for 10 months on the Field Artillery; 4 years Senior Cadets (1.6 years as Colour Sergeant; 2 years commissioned).
Enlistment date18 August 1914
Rank on enlistment2nd Lieutenant
Unit nameField Artillery Brigade 1, Battery 3
AWM Embarkation Roll number13/29/1
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board Transport A8 Argyllshire on 18 October 1914
Rank from Nominal RollCaptain
Unit from Nominal Roll1st Division Artillery


Unit: 1st Field Artillery Brigade
Promotion date: 1 March 1915


Unit: 4th Division Artillery Headquarters
Promotion date: 8 July 1916

FateDischarged 25 September 1917
Discharge date25 September 1917
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Admitted to No. 2 General Hospital, Ghezireh, 6 March 1915 (typhus); discharged to duty, 24 April 1915. Evacuated to England, June 1915.

Proceeded overseas to France. Admitted to No. 9 Stationary Hospital, Havre, 19 April 1916; discharged, 14 June 1916; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 57 days.

Admitted to No. 2 Stationary Hospital, Abbeville, 5 July 1916 (influenza); discharged to duty, 8 July 1916.

Wounded in action, 16 August 1916 (gun shot wound, thigh: slight); admitted to 2nd Red Cross Hospital, Rouen, 23 August 1916. Transferred to England, 22 August 1916; to 5th Auxiliary Hospital, 18 October 1916; to Cobham Hall Officer Hospital, 20 December 1916; discharged to duty, 9 February 1917. Marched into No. 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, 10 February 1917; proceeded overseas to France, 21 February 1917. Taken on strength, 4th Divisional Ammunition Column, 3 March 1917; transferred to 11th Field Artillery Brigade, 23 March 1917.

Major P.M. Edwards, OC 111th Howitzer Battery, supported his request to be transferred to another unit, citing several examples of his unreliability (including being a 'heavy drinker of intoxicants').

Court martialled, 13 May 1917, for 'unreliabilty'. Medical Board, 5 June 1917, concluded 'He is physically fit. His mental condition appears to be simulated & the Board would request that he be sent to a mental expert for opinion'. LT COL C.S. Meyer, RAMC, concluded, 4 July 1917: [Asher] is undoubtedly suffering from nervous exhaustion (neurasthenia). He is unfor for "general service" and requires at least three months' treatment and rest before he will be fit for any form of service. I attribute his disability to the effects of his attack of typhus, and his subsequent wound contracted in the service, and secondarily to his failure to "report sick" in the earlier stages of his disorder.'

Relinquished his commission, 25 September 1917, 'in consequence of being permanently unfit for all service'. Discharged in England at his own request.

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Print format    

© The AIF Project 2024, UNSW Canberra. Not to be reproduced without permission.