The AIF Project

Thomas James ROBINSON

Regimental number2061
Date of birth16 April 1897
Place of birthVictor Harbor, South Australia
AddressJohn Street, Mitcham, South Australia
Marital statusSingle
Age at embarkation18
Height5' 6"
Weight124 lbs
Next of kinMother, Mrs Isabella Robinson, John Street, Mitcham, South Australia
Previous military serviceServed for 6 months in the Compulsory Military Training scheme.
Enlistment date19 September 1915
Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll2 September 1915
Place of enlistmentAdelaide, South Australia
Rank on enlistmentPrivate
Unit name3rd Light Horse Regiment, 14th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number10/8/3
Embarkation detailsUnit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A69 Warilda on 10 February 1916
Rank from Nominal RollPrivate
Unit from Nominal Roll1st Cyclists Battalion
FateReturned to Australia 5 April 1919
Other details

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Taken on strength, 1st Light Horse Reserve Regiment, Heliopolis, 8 March 1916. Transferred to 4th Division Cyclists' Bn, 16 April 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British expeditionary Force, 2 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 8 June 1916. Transferred to 1st Anzac Cyclists' Bn, 9 July 1916.

On leave to United Kingdom, 5 October 1917; rejoined unit from leave, 17 October 1917.

Admitted to 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 20 December 1917 (scabies); transferred same to 1st Field Ambulance; to 1st Australian Division Rest Station, 21 December 1917; discharged to duty, 1 January 1918, and rejoined Bn same day.

Admitted to 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 30 January 1918 (psoriasis); transferred by Ambulance Train No 20 to 25th General Hospital, and admitted 31 January 1918; transferred to 10th Convalescent Depot, 4 April 1918; to Australian General Base Depot, 9 April 1918. Admitted to 39th General Hospital, 25 April 1918; discharged, 19 June 1918; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 56 days.

Injured accidentally, 6 September 1918 (laceration of finger); admitted to 2nd Convalescent Depot, Rouen, 9 September 1918; transferred to No 11 Convalescent Depot, Buchy, 13 September 1918; rejoined Bn, 28 November 1918.

Statement by Robinson: 'I was standing by a fire on which some rubbish was being burnt, when a bomb that was also in the fire exploded, a piece striking me on the forefinger of the right hand.' Statement by Pte R. SMITH, 6 September 1918: 'Pte Robinson and myself were standing near a fire when suddenly a bomb exploded in the fire and hit Pte. Robinson in the finger, causing a slight wound and the fire had been burning for some time before we came on the scene, but whether the bomb was put in the fire by accident or not I could not say, but probably was the case.' Adjutant concluded, 6 September 1918: 'Pte. Robinson was standing near a fire in which some rubbish was being burnt. A large quantity of German hand grenades are being salvaged from this area, and by some unknown reason one of these grenades became mixed with the rubbish and was put on the fire. The man was in the performance of a military duty. He was not to blame. No other person was to blame.'

On leave to United Kingdom, 8-22 December 1918. Admitted while on leave to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital, 21 December 1918; discharged to Brimstone Bolton Hospital, 24 December 1918; total period of treatment for venereal disease: 4 days.

Commenced return to Australia on board HT 'Warwickshire', 5 April 1919; disembarked Adelaide, 24 May 1919; discharged, Adelaide, 10 July 1919.

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
Date of death22 April 2001
Age at death104
SourcesObituary, 'The Australian', 25 April 2001

Print format